Thursday 27 February 2014

Fossil Butterflies

Welcome back to another Freshly Made Sketch Challenge!  This week, the lovely Narelle has given us a wonderful sketch that allows so much freedom.  Check this out:


I need a birthday card for my mother and as my mother introduced me to stamping all those years ago, I'm sure you can appreciate I feel some pressure to make a pretty special card for her!

This is what I come up with after an inordinately long time!  My mum loves butterfly and dragonfly stamps.



The background panel is a piece of glossy white which was colored using the Fossil Stone technique.  I used Pool Party, Marina Mist, Wisteria Wonder and Elegant Eggplant inks for this technique.  Once that dried, I stamped over it with Hampton Art Stamps 'Mariposa' stamp.  A dry-embossed piece of vellum was laid over top and stuck down under the pearls.  The butterfly comes from Best of Butterflies and was colored using blue and purple Copic markers before being cut out.




The sentiment is from Birthday Bash Sentiments and at the last hurdle, I put a tiny smudge of black ink in the bottom right corner, hence the random pearls!

Here's a shot of the inside so you can see the Fossil Stone without the vellum layer.




Happy Birthday, Mum!  Love ya!

I hope you have a chance to make a card using Narelle's sketch.  In the meantime, check out the rest of the Design Team inspiration.

Products used:

Stamps:  Hampton Art Stamps, Best of Butterflies (SU), Happiest of Birthdays (SU)
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black, Pool Party, Wisteria Wonder, Marina Mist, Elegant Eggplant
Cardstock:  Glossy White, Whisper White, Xpress-it, Basic Black, Vellum Cardstock
Accessories:  Plastic Folder, Elegant Lines EF, Basic Pearls, Copic Markers

Cheers
Karren


14 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

Swirls and pearls - a beautiful combo! I don't know the fossil stone technique but the effect is lovely - wonderful card!

Papercrafting With Angelina said...

I have to say, this is one of the most stunning cards I have seen in a long time. Your mom is going to love it!

Bonnie said...

This is very special and I'm sure it will be a hit with your Mom! Love the embossed vellum and the pretty butterfly!

Christine Blain said...

Beautiful, Karren. I love that you've put so much love into this card. Isn't it wonderful how many 'evils' you can cover up with pearls?!

Jen Brum said...

Karren...this card is so beautiful! I love those colours! That butterfly is amazing! The pearls looks so fabulous! Such a creative card!

Jen Mitchell said...

Oh boy, every time I come here I learn about a new technique I need to try. I'm especially intrigued by this fossil technique since I'm kind of a fossil myself! Without knowing what it is I will say right off the bat that this card is AMAZING!

Greta said...

Artistic & beautiful! Your coloring of that butterfly is incredible!

Narelle Farrugia said...

WHAT!!! I though it was DSP you used! You. Are. Amazing with your techniques. I need to be myself some education so I can keep up! Absolutely stunning card that your mum is going to LOVE!

Joni Andaya said...

GORGEOUS!!!

Amie Kiger (Kigz) said...

Woah, I am going to have to check that technique out soon! Your final product is stunning! Super job on the cover-up! ;)

Rita W said...

Wowzers. I thought that was DSP too! Amazing! I am going to have to try out that technique, but I know I'd never get it to look this amazing. Beautiful card! I'm sure your mom loved it.

Cindy Hall said...

Oh. My. Gosh! This is amazing! Love the colors, the technique, the design and the gorgeous butterfly. Oh, and the pearls, too!!! :)

Lee-Anne said...

Love the colors and technique! Stunning card!

Cathy said...

Stunning card, and the fossil technique looks amazing, as does your butterfly, Cathy x