Thursday 25 September 2014

Umbrella Man

Hi and welcome!  I'm so excited because today I get to be Guest Designer at Color Throwdown because my card was chosen as Featured Stamper last week.  How cool is that!!!

Here are the fantastic colors for this week:




Aren't they gorgeous? I had the intention of doing a very clean and graphic card using these crisp colors, but somehow I ended up with this card.




It might be hard to see where all the challenge colors are, but they are in there :)  I'd just received an order which had a lot of Tim Holtz layering stencils and the Mini Muse stamp set which has this "umbrella man" stamp which is one of my all-time favorites.  So of course, I had to use it all!

The card base is Crumb Cake. I sponged over several stencils using Stormy Sky, Crushed Olive and Pumice Stone distress inks, as well as Smoky Slate ink from SU.  After that, I used Picket Fence distress stain and the Shatter stencil for some white highlights.

The main panel is watercolor paper that I coated with Pumice Stone distress stain, then painted over with Crushed Olive and Stormy Sky ink.  I also used some Picket Fence stain on this piece as well.  Umbrella Man is clear embossed over black and then the "Live the life you've imagined" stamp was stamped several times down the right hand side. The edges of all panels were distressed and sponged with Vintage Photo ink.  A tiny little piece of filmstrip ribbon was stapled to the top left corner.

For the sentiment, I used a leftover piece of painted watercolor paper and dabbed on some Picket Fence paint to give more of a blank panel.  After that dried, I stamped the Penny Black sentiment.




Thanks for visiting.  Be sure to check out the wonderful creations from the Color Throwdown team - their work is amazing!

I'm entering this card into the Monday Challenge at Simon Says Stamp, which is to use stencils and stamps.


Products used:

Stamps:  Mini Muse (Stampers Anonymous), Thinking of You (Penny Black)
Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black, Crushed Olive, Stormy Sky, Pumice Stone, Vintage Photo distress inks (Ranger), Smoky Slate (SU)
Cardstock:  Crumb Cake, Watercolor
Accessories:  Picket Fence Distress Stain and Paint, Pumice Stone Distress Stain, Tim Holtz Layering Stencils:  Speckles, Dot Fade, Measured, Schoolhouse, Shatter.  Tim Holtz Filmstrip ribbon, staples, MFT Fishtail Flag Die

Cheers
Karren

14 comments:

Lyn said...

Gorgeous card, congrats on your Guest Designer spot

Monika/Buzsy said...

Amazing mixed media style card Karren. Love the Tim Holtz images... the colors look great. Congrats on being our Guest Designer this week. :)

Broni said...

I love that you ended up doing a fun, vintage-y card for this week's challenge! And I love the distressing and all the stenciling.

Jodi Collins said...

This is SO cool! LOVE that background, it's amazing!! Fantastic card!!!

Barbara said...

I love all your layering!! Fabulous background you created there!

Tammy Hershberger said...

The mix of stencils in your background is awesome! Fabulous design... so happy you could join us this week!

LeAnne said...

What an awesome card, Karren! Love how you used all the colors and elements....just a creative work of art!

Vickie Z said...

Totally fun!, the film die is perfect with this image...I always think of Charlie Chaplin! So glad you joined us this week! BTW... Think this works for the Simon Says Stamp stamp/stencil challenge.

Kim said...

I love the card you came up for on this colors challenge!! What an awesome bg with texture and the use of these colors. Super job!!

Linda Callahan said...

Total masterpiece.....wow! You are somethin' girl! I look at this stamp image every time I go in a craft store and have never seen it inked......well now I have....amazing!

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

What a fabulous card! Love how you used the colors and love all the great texture!

Jen Mitchell said...

WOW! This is so fantastic! All those Tim Holtz videos must have rubbed off onto you because you have totally nailed that look of layered images and colors. Wow (again)!!!

Wanda Cullen said...

Karren, your overlapping stencils create such a fabulous, artsy look! LOVE your card! So happy you were our star stamper...love your work!

Joan Ervin said...

What a fantastic design....the background looks sooo fabulous with all the overlapping and I love the umbrella man!!!! I'm glad you were our Guest Star Stamper this week!!!!