Sunday 9 October 2016

Brighter Days

Hi and welcome!  I'm hostess today over at Inspired By All The Little Things and here is the inspiration I chose for this week's challenge.


For my guest, I invited Barb Ghigliotty (Barb Ghig), who I'm sure many of you know.  Barb creates gorgeous CAS cards and is very generous and supportive in the stamping community.

I really loved the colors in this picture as well as the cascade of umbrellas.  So I decided to try and re-create the look as best I could and this is what I came up with.


I sponged various Distress Inks down the left side of a white panel to try and mimic the colors in the photo.  I then stamped and masked the umbrellas using black ink.  I cut the panel into two separate panels and popped the center piece up on foam tape to add interest.  The sentiment is embossed with Antique Gold EP.  I thought I was done at that point and put the card aside.  However, when I looked at it again the next day, it looked boring!  So I white embossed umbrellas onto vellum and colored the backs with Copics.  I then die-cut them and glued them over the black umbrellas and was much happier with the result.


Thanks for visiting!  The design team and my guest, Barb, have created gorgeous cards to inspire you, so please check them out.

Products used:

Stamps:  April Showers (Clearly Besotted)
Ink:  Versarmark, Mermaid Lagoon, Broken China, Weathered Wood, Iced Spruce, Cracked Pistachio, Shabby Shutters, Scattered Straw Distress Inks
Cardstock:  White, watercolor
Dies:  Blueprints 24, Blueprints 25
Accessories:  Antique Gold EP (SSS), Perfect Pearls Mist

Cheers
Karren


18 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

Karren I LOve the photo inspiration, your card is stunning, and I adore Barb, too!!! I MUST play along!! xx
=]

stampwithsandy said...

Wow you really re-created the inspiration perfectly, Karren! Love how you did the umbrellas!

Leigh Penner said...

I love your wonderful take on the inspiration photo, Karren!

Linda Callahan said...

Wow using the vellum was genius.....pure genius......beautiful card!

Cécile RIBON said...

Wow ! Those umbrellas are gorgeous ! Such a delicate and pretty card !

Barb Ghig said...

Great idea to use vellum and white EP for your umbrellas, Karren! I love how you colored them, and sponged the background on this card, too! Fabulous take on the inspiration photo!

Thank you again for all of your sweet comments about me, and for asking me to be your 'Guest'...it's such an honor!

Finally got a new pc, and I am so looking forward to getting caught up on my visits :) Hope you're having a great weekend!

Cathy P said...

I think your vellum idea was super-successful! Love that look!

Jen Mitchell said...

The vellum was a genius idea. It really makes those umbrellas look like they are floating around!

Karen Davis said...

Karren you have chosen such a gorgeous inspiration photo!! Your card is such an amazing interpretation of the photo.I love the transparency of the vellum umbrellas. Genius! Happy stamping. Hugs.

Jeanne H said...

I really, really love your umbrella card! Well done, me thinks!

Lyn said...

This is outright gorgeous plus <3

Susanne Vargas said...

Love your vellum umbrellas, they look so light and airy!

KimCreate said...

The vellum umbrellas came out so cute! I love that they are translucent. Super cute.

Narelle Farrugia said...

This is wonderful! I love the shaded background and I love the shading you have given your brollies!

Rosemary said...

gorgeous design, karren!!! love the translucent umbrellas!!

Marcie Sharp said...

I love the soft inking down the side of the panel. Very pretty. Great card!!

LauraJane:) said...

I like the transparent umbrellas! Soft and Lovely!!

Nancy said...

Fantabulous card Karren!